Sunday, March 29, 2009

Drama!

:-) :-(

The images above are supposed to represent theatre masks (comedy and drama).

Last weekend, my wife and I volunteered to help out with Plymouth Regional High School's hosting of the state Drama Festival. Unfortunately, I only got to see half of the twelve offerings, but what a wonderful half they were. Only two will go on to the New England competition (two more were selected as alternates). The two days were long, but they were fun!

The big question I have is why 'theater' is written 'theatre.' I went to a site called theaterhelper.com and found the following, which clears everything up nicely for me (and you, if you are still reading): "The word theater can refer to a theater building, the art of theater, or even a home theater system.

"The word theatre should always refer to the art form and only the art form. (I had wanted the domain for this site to be theatrehelper, but it was already owned, so I took the next best option.) A 'home theatre system' is a travesty to the art of theatre. Unfortunately, evolution caused largely by capitalism is slowly causing the word theatre to be drained of all its meaning. Once completely drained of its meaning, why have the word theatre at all? This evolution could cause the death of the word theatre altogether."

Ya gotta love the Internet - it has the answers to pretty much everything, everything... even a picture of Coke in a Pepsi machine (http://citynoise.org/article/5338)

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...