Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fiber or Fibber?

Okay, let's get one thing straight - I don't need lots of fiber in my diet because I really do give a.... Well, anyhow, on with the story. Not long ago, my wife suggested I try a Fiber One bar because, quite simply, it had chocolate in it and tasted good. I tried one, and it was good - good enough for me to buy more. When I browsed the store's offerings, I found another flavor called "oats & strawberries with almonds." As I like strawberries, I bought a box, and the bars were pretty good. As I was eating the new bar, I did what I love to do - I read the label and was just a bit surprised.

As I am sure you all know, ingredients on a label are listed in order of the amount used in the product from the most to least. The first thing on the "oats and strawberries with almonds" bar was something called "Chicory Root Extract." A trip to Wikipedia revealed that chicory roots are roots that are baked, ground, and used as a coffee substitute and additive. Okay; I guess calling the bar "oats & strawberries" sounds better than "chicory root and strawberries." Rolled oats was the next thing listed, so we're close there.

BUT, here's the problem. The next ingredient is (bear with me here) : "Natural strawberry flavored (my emphasis) fruit pieces (sugar, cranberries, citric acid, natural flavor, elderberry juice concentrate, sunflower oil)." In short, there are NO STRAWBERRIES in the bar! There are cranberries, but no strawberries. Besides what I just listed and a lot of other stuff that follows, there are no strawberries in spite of the bar's name! I am not amused! I feel cheated!

I just looked up contact information and sent an email to General Mills (personally, I think he should be reduced in rank to, say, Private Mills). I will let you know what the response is.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...