Thursday, March 19, 2009

You know, I found out I have been so wrong about my vehement opposition to the bailout! I have been rabidly against it from the start and absolutely outraged at the concept of 'bonuses' as a reward for failure (when I left teaching, I got a kind of bonus for years served [sounds like prison but that's another story] and unused sick days. My 'bonus' was enough to carry me for several months and maybe then some.

I found a story online today that explained to me why these poor folks desperately need those bonuses, and that's what changed my mind. Apparently a 36-year-old Swedish countess from Connecticut is getting a divorce from her husband and signed a post-nuptial agreement specifying what would happen in the case of their parting ways. She allegedly agreed to a settlement of $43 million dollars, but she has discovered she can't live on that amount. Instead, she's now asking for around $100 million in cash and stocks, $53,800 a week for expenses, and alimony of $130,000 a month.
The poor woman said, "I'm just very sad that we are where we are. I hope we resolve this soon so everybody can move on with their lives." The woman has filed court papers showing she has more than $53,800 in weekly expenses, including for maintaining a Park Avenue apartment and three residences in Sweden. Her weekly expenses also include $700 for limousine service, $4,500 for clothes, $1,000 for hair and skin treatments, $1,500 for restaurants and entertainment, and $8,000 for travel.

Now, think about it for a moment. Could you get by on such a pittance? These people need that money from the bailout and bonuses, and who am I to get in the way? I am so sorry I even said anything against the bailout. I may not even run for office in the future. Who needs people like me when you can have people like them?

(By the way, can anyone say, "Entitlement mentality"? Yeah, I knew you could [and should - over and over again]!)

Add Image

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...