Thursday, April 2, 2009

When the moon hits your eye...

Quite simply, there's no great pizza near where I live; there's not even any really good pizza - there's... pizza. I am spoiled because in my formative years I was brought up with places like Tony's Italian Villa, Pino's, Dino's, and the best of 'em all (the creme da la creme), Pizzeria Regina. They all set a standard for me that is hard to come close to in my area of central New Hampshire. In a say twelve mile radius, there is no shortage of shops; it's just that to me they're all pretty similar with a thicker, usually pre-made crust.

Frozen pizza is, well, frozen pizza. If you buy Red Baron, Tony's or Freschetta's, you're buying pizza made by Schwan's. If you buy DiGiorno, Tombstone, California Pizza Kitchen, or Jack’s, you're buying a Kraft foods pizza. I don't know who makes Wal-Mart pizzas, but to my taste, they're no worse (or better) than any of the aforementioned brands (but they are less expensive).

Today, everything changed. I visited a accountant (CPA) for the first (and I hope last) time - she was a former student of mine. When we were done, on the way home, I stopped off at Elvio's Pizzeria and Restaurant up in Lincoln. It was the best I have had in a long time! The taste and texture of the pizza today almost brought a tear to my eye (don't tell anyone, but I had four slices thinking I could store up the experience [I think I will be storing it around my waist area]). I guess there is hope. I still have plans to try a place called Sal's, which I am told is also good. I rarely travel for food, but maybe Lincoln really isn't that far.

2 comments:

Wade said...

I know what you mean about Central NH Pizza offerings. Especially after being "spoiled" w/Chicago-Style pizza for the past 18 years.

Thanks for the your review. My family and I will try your reccomendation on our next trip East for our Central NH vacation.

If you ever get to Chi-Town, you must visit Pizzaria Uno!

Amanda Torrey said...

I love Elvio's! That's one thing I miss about NH. I was so sad when the Elvio's in Plymouth closed down.
Glad you enjoyed your pizza... they have the yummiest calzones, too! :)

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...