Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sometimes Just Showing Up is Enough!


(Update Below)
The last time I ran for office (2008), I ran for the United States Senate; I sent out four weekly press releases to about eight state newspapers, none of which ran any of them (would you?). In all honesty, all I wanted to do was see if I could even make a blip on the media radar and let the "mainstream" candidates know I would be watching from the wings and make a serious effort next time if they didn't get their act together. I called my campaign "One Man, One Month, No Money." I suspect I did receive a few votes as a few people said they would vote for me, but I didn't see any blip.

The time before that was for town Library Trustee as no other candidates had come forward, and I don't feel any position should go uncontested or unpopulated. Turns out another woman felt the same way, and there were two candidates. I lost by maybe 150 votes, but several people told me they were proud of the showing I did make.

Yesterday (3/10) was the most recent town election. As only sickness or other major problem would get me to miss an election, I went and voted as I do believe it's most important (how else can I complain in good conscience)! One office on the ballot had no candidates listed, so, yes, I wrote my name in! Today when I got home after work, there was a message from the town clerk that I had received a write-in vote and was I interested... I will call her tomorrow for details and make a decision from there. On the plus side, that would give me political experience in an elected office for my future resume. Until I hear details, I don't know what the negative side might be. I think I might just do it. I'll let you know.

In all honesty, I do have to tell you, it's an office people are dying for - Cemetery Trustee! I will keep you posted.

Later.

UPDATE: seems there were a few people who received write-in votes. After hearing what the position was all about, I told the town clerk to offer it to the others; I said if she got stuck, she should contact me.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...