Sunday, April 12, 2009

Violent Times


Perhaps it's the times in which we live, but there seems to be quite a rise in violence being reported. There is a mounting frustration amongst the people, and instead of seeking help, more and more people seem to be lashing out at others and going out in a blaze of vainglory - let's see how many people I can kill before I kill myself. I expect it won't get better for a while.

I don't want to be any part of such happenings, but something disturbing (or maybe not) happened today. When the news arrived online that Captain Richard Phillips had been rescued and three of the four pirates had been killed, I thought to myself, "Good." I was beginning to get edgy and wondering why three warships and attending personnel were unable to deal with four men. I am sure at this point that everything was being done to assure the safety of the captain, which really answers my concern; I guess I am just too impatient these days.
Why don't ships have armed security; that has to be cheaper than millions in ransom... doesn't it? These pirates have been acting with impunity for way too long. Of course, the current policy of shipping companies easily paying ransoms has contributed to the situation. Other Somali pirates have vowed revenge against the U.S. This time, unlike the boondoggle in Iraq and the next one in Afghanistan, I say, "Good. Bring 'em on!"




No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...