Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Comet-ose

I got thinking this morning about a book I had read many years ago. It was called Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. In the book, a comet hits the earth and knocks out all technology. One reader, Alan Holyoak, described it as follows: "Imagine this...world-wide cataclysmic events wipe out the major governments on the planet -- national, state, and local governments collapse, and people are left to fend for themselves. What will they do for food, shelter, personal safety, information, etc.? It's a whole new ballgame out there!"

That doesn't even scratch the surface of what unfolds in the book, but that's the way I felt this morning when I found G-mail had gone down. I realized how dependent I have become on technology - it's my primary means of communication for the most part. Instead of making numerous phone calls to remind people of a meeting, for example, I just send out an e-mail to those who have it. There are a few people, however, I am making a point of calling. I am remembering that e-mail just isn't the same.

There is an e-mail going around that tells the recipient that all the forwards and jokes we send are a way of remembering and connecting with those people in our lives who are important, and that's true, but when was the last time you actually spoke to them? If you are like I am, probably not for a while. It may take a bit of an effort, but pick up the phone and call someone just to say "Hi." I am just starting, and it's a good thing. Try it.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...