Friday, February 13, 2009

Peanuts

No, I am not talking about the comic strip or the 1957 song by Rick & The Keens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZ7autJ4Q8&feature=related). There is another version (perhaps the original - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM1JSa8r3XM). Even The Four Seasons performed the hit, but I couldn't find a video.

Anyhow, I am thinking about the Peanut Corporation of America. the actions of which absolutely explain to me why we are in the economic mess we are in. There are pages and pages of news coverage on the corporation (and the economy), but the media tends to over-analyze! Sometimes the best answers are the simplest - the rest is commentary. One small paragraph buried in a recent news story published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "Even in the heat of the nationwide outbreak, (company president Stewart) Parnell seemed more worried about his company’s profits than with food safety, according to regulators and congressional investigators." I mean, doesn't that sum up most businesses' philosophy? Seriously! The people be damned, we need to make more money! It's all about GREEN GREED!

If nothing else, the economic crisis in the US (and world) may put things back in perspective (but I doubt it). IMHO, there is fair profit and there is obscene profit; let's get back to the former! There is no place in my world for corporate excesses (it should be that way in all our worlds).

As an erstwhile hockey fan born and brought up around Boston, I happen to like the Bruins. If I want to attend a game, a box seat would cost me $189.50! Yes, there are binocular seats starting at $16.50, but I get nosebleeds and I really don't care to watch ants playing. Red Sox tickets are $325 a seat (I could sit in the upper bleachers for $12 or stand for $20, but...). The New Hampshire Motor Speedway sounds like a bargain at $110 for a good seat. Good New England Patriots seats cost $169, and you get the idea. When money for most of is tight, TV works - it has to.

More perspective - that's all.

Later.



No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...