Thursday, June 12, 2008

Will Work for Health Insurance!

Well, it's official - I am now unemployed!

The best part is I jumped through the last-day checking out hoops (even turning in the key that got me into faculty and staff restrooms) and made it home in time to see the latest episode of Maury! That's my (no-longer) secret pleasure, and I wasn't disappointed - today's theme is "I had sex with two sisters... Am I their babies' daddy?" Classic.

On the other hand, the thought that I am now without job keeps creeping into my conscious. This checkout day was like all the others, so there was no big deal there, but come late August, I won't be getting the welcome back letters as I will no longer be an employee. I won't have to get back into the routine of getting up at my usual 5:20 AM. This afternoon is the retirement party for me and the four others who will join me in the ranks of the unemployed. I have enough saved for a few months of fun and frolicking before panicking sets in, but I won't wait - I may take a week or two and then begin beating the bushes for a job. The biggest problem is health insurance. Even with a state subsidy, the plan I have to use will result in well over $900 a month being taken out of my retirement check resulting in the title for this post. That doesn't leave a lot.

Well, I have a party waiting, so more later.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...