Monday, June 30, 2008

Close your eyes...

Close your eyes, click your heels three times, and say, "There's no place like the ocean; there's no place like the ocean...."

Seems like just yesterday we were complaining about the amount of snow we had last winter. Interestingly, today is the last day in NH that can be counted toward a season's total snowfall, the last of which was certified as the snowiest in a hundred years but still 2-1/2 inches shy of the all-time record since recorded totals. Meanwhile, the pattern of hot, humid days and chance of afternoon thunder showers continues. I tempted fate today and went out on my motorcycle for a few errands. I did get smacked in the face by a few raindrops, but anything big held off. I pretty much am a fair-weather rider. Normally, I get within three miles of my home before the skies open up, but today was fine riding. Gas up our way is $3.98 today, down from $4.01. Now that I think about it, I could probably make the case for domestic terrorism with what's happening with prices. I have a budget plan for oil with which I pay year 'round. The plan will be "re-evaluated in January, but my current monthly bill is $575... and I thought last year's was high at $269. As many switch to wood, I can only imagine where cord prices are headed. I got tired of schlepping wood every day, so I went with oil. My back is shot (or at least wounded, so that's not an easy option this year. Besides, the space I kept the wood is currently filled with horses, hay, and shavings (not to mention a few new-found kittens currently being fed by Miss Kim). Sigh.

I attended my first official Retirees' Breakfast today. On the last Monday of each month, recent and not-so-recent retirees (former colleagues) gather at a downtown diner for breakfast. Some weeks, four or five people show up - today there were 17. Of course, the diner had one cook on and was busy to boot. I didn't get what I ordered, but it was close enough to keep my mouth shut (except to shovel in the food). We sat at a long table (several slid together), so we were limited to talking to those in our area (actually, there was a little bit of yelling, so we really weren't that limited. We covered topics like safe investments (an oxymoron these days) and good books (I have already forgotten the names I was given).

Well, Jess and I have to head into the big city to feed friends' horses (they're out of town for a few days). Hope all's well with all of you.

Later.

1 comment:

Eli Badger said...

I think I know where that island is....brings back great memories.

Peace

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...