Saturday, June 14, 2008

Retirement... or "Renewal"?

On the day of my high school's annual yearbook assembly, the principal called up this year's five retirees to be recognized (which was strange because I honestly thought everyone knows who I am and what I look like - as if people are going to point and say, "There he is! There's Berman! I recognize him!"). So, as I stood with the others before the gathered multitudes who were madly clapping and cheering for us, a bizarre thought entered my mind - I felt like I was very much a part of the "Renewal" scene from "Logan's Run" (the 1976 movie in which people led a perfect, seamless existence until the age of 30 at which time they were required to go to the public spectacle of "Renewal," which everyone saw as, well, Renewal, but, in fact, turned out to be the entertaining extravaganza of eradication (no wonder some people ran). I felt we were being put on display before going out to permanent pasture.

As of 8:28 AM on Thursday, June 12th, I walked out of my school for the last time as a direct part of it; I will never return except on the other side of the desk as the Ever-effervescent Miss Jessica's father (as a parent). I will never again walk in at 6:45 AM to check my mailbox, never again sign on at the desk top computer to check my email, never again sit with my class at the annual yearbook assembly, never again, well, you get the idea. I will, however, have to stop at the main office to get a visitor's badge. My retirement was the closing of one door, but at the same time was the opening of another. I haven't really looked through the new door yet, but it awaits me; all I have to do is step through and see what's on the other side. Right now, first I have to catch my breath and see where I am before I see where I am going. I will let you know what I find.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...