Saturday, February 15, 2020

CHEESE IT - THE COPS

As a former NH Bail Commissioner for several years, I was blessed enough to work with and get to know numerous police-persons from local towns as well as several staties (is that an okay label or is it pejorative? I am sure someone will let me know). All were fine, but there was one (and only one) whom I'd describe as having an attitude, a most disrespectful attitude.

I was brought up to respect the police, the military, the opposite sex (are you the opposite sex or am I?), teachers, students, and, well, pretty much everyone. Through the years, however, I have modified that respect.

One day, I don't remember how old I was 14 or 15?, I was playing baseball with some friends in a suburban field when a patrol car with two young officers pulled up. We walked over to the car (not everyone runs). Ignoring us at first, the driver slouched back in his seat and shook out a cigarette from a pack that had been in his shirt's breast pocket, put it in his mouth, and lit it. He then flicked the match at us. I don't remember the exact conversation, but I do recall it was punctuated by some swear words and a couple more flicked matches. In retrospect, from that interaction, I realized he was a punk.

On the other hand, on a more positive note, a friend and I were walking down a dark side street in Boston at night when a police car came whipping up to the curb and stopped by us. We too stopped and just stood there. Two officers got out and walked up to us, hands on their butts (gun butts). They professionally yet politely frisked us and then asked for our IDs. They told us there had just been a robbery and the two suspects' description vaguely resembled us (or vice-versa), so they had to check. They offered an apology and left. Respect.

And one more. I was driving on the James Jackson Storrow Memorial Drive (aka by locals as Sorrow Drive) down by the river Charles. My car got a flat, so I pulled into a small turnoff on the road and checked for a jack and spare. The spare was there, but I had no jack (I know - I should have checked sooner). It didn't take long for a police car to pull up behind us to see what was happening. He too checked and didn't have a jack either (hmmm - he should have checked sooner), so he got on his radio giving our location and saying, "Officer needs assistance." Wrong thing for him to say. In what seemed like almost immediately, several more cars whipped up with lights flashing and sirens blaring. Embarrassing (yet impressive) to say the least. Respect. 

Long story short, I learned through the years to respect the uniform but not always the person wearing it. 

(By the way, yes, Istill do respect the office of the President of the United States.)

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...