Monday, February 17, 2020

CHOOSE WISELY!

"I believe that in each lifetime there is one day of destiny. It is probably a day of which none of is ever aware at the time, or can even recall. But for every one of us there is that day. And when it leads to a bad end, it's better not to look back and search it out because nothing can be done about it. We can only be wise after the event." Stanley Ellin "The Day of the Bullet."

Bad decision: I am hoping there is a statute of limitations as I confess this (this was probably 50 years ago); one night, I made the drunken choice to drive impaired. All I remember is my eyes were crossing, my head was lolling, and I knew I was incredibly drunk, but I drove anyhow. For whatever reason, I am now convinced a higher power got me home safely that night.

Nothing happened, but it very well could have! My life would have drastically changed! I could have maimed or killed someone or several someones or myself. Once one pushes aside the 'It won't happen to me' concept, we get into trouble when it does. And regret always comes after the fact.

Good decision: I used to casually (very casually and only very occasionally) ride with a truly bad-ass group of Boston bikers. One night, we met up in an empty parking lot, and it quickly became clear they were discussing and planning a burglary. When everyone mounted up and headed out, I made the decision to turn off and not join them. I never saw them again. In my life, whatever possibilities (good or bad) might have happened didn't. 

One more: growing up I had a friend with whom I spent a lot of time. He was, well, different - very creative but different. We started a dittoed newsletter/magazine together - I did the writing, and he did the artwork; we sold copies for 5 cents each. In junior high school, he smoked marijuana (which at the time only bad people did - it was around 1960) and started to hang around with 'bad' people (the 'wrong crowd').

Long story short, as he made his choices of friends and activities, I started to drift away. The final turning point came when he showed up at my house and wanted to store a motor scooter he had just 'obtained.' My parents, who were smarter than I was, firmly said 'No,' and that was that.

In 1967, when he was 20, he beat up his 15-year-old girlfriend and shot her six times leaving her in the Despite numerous appeals, he is still in prison 53 years later and will be for the rest of his life.

Think carefully and choose wisely... before something happens.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...