Monday, March 17, 2008

"Pardon me; would you have any...?"

Talk about snob appeal: for those old enough to remember the commercial some fifteen or so years ago, on a country road, one Rolls Royce pulled up beside another. A distinguished-looking gentleman "veddy properly" asked another through the car window, "Pardon me; would you have any Grey Poupon?" to which the other replied, "But of course," as he motions his chauffeur to drive on (you can see it on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmannAYiwh0 ). I always thought the stuff must be pretty special - something way beyond my pedestrian tastes and pocketbook. Anyhow, as part of my South Beach diet, I just tonight happened to have a hot ham and swiss sandwich (on a small wheat roll), which just happened to come with the celebrated Grey Poupon. You know what? The Grey Poupon was mustard! Mustard - nothing more or nothing less.

This led me to think back through all the years about all the things I had to have that looked so cool, righteous, special, whatever in the ads, and never were. I am finally learning. With today's economy, which seems to be heading further and further south on a daily basis, we all need to be more aware of what we are spending our money on and whether it's really worth it or not. Most often, it's not.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...