Monday, July 27, 2020

YES, DEAR. YOU WERE RIGHT....

I sometimes only half-listen to the news, and that's when I get in trouble.

With the recent passing of Congressman John Lewis, I thought I had heard his body would lie in state at the Georgia State Capitol Rotunda for a ceremony and then be moved to the Capital Rotunda in Washington on Wednesday.

When my wife told me tRump would not go to pay his respects to Lewis, I was stunned. "Of course, he will. He has to! He won't go to Georgia, but when Lewis's body is back in Washington, of course he will. As president, he has to."

"He's already in Washington lying in state," she pointed out, and, sure enough, there it was on the news.

It took a moment to process. When I did a little checking, tRump did say, "I won't be going, no."

Traditionally, presidents let past disagreements go when someone in opposition passes on. Class dictates doing the right thing and putting the past aside. There is a Latin saying: "De mortuis nil nisi bonum" - speak no ill of the dead. Obama spoke at John McCain's funeral. On the other hand, despite being the sitting president, tRump was not even invited to McCain's funeral. Ouch.

On yet another hand, in 2017, Lewis did refuse to attend tRump's inauguration saying that tRump wasn't a "legitimate president."

Anyhow, tRump really did say he wouldn't go to pay his respects.

Yes, dear. You were right. I was wrong.




No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...