Wednesday, June 24, 2020

FORGIVE ME, READERS, FOR I HAVE SINNED....

As I was checking out at the grocery store, my eyes fell upon something I haven't seen for at least two years: NECCO Wafers! They're baaack!

I wasn't going to eat the whole sleeve in one sitting, but you know how that goes! The two-ounce package seemed bigger than I remember, but I soldiered on. After all, the serving size is listed as one package. 

There is NO CHOLESTEROL and NO FAT! That's the good news. The bad news is I consumed 56g of carbs, 51 of which were sugar. I rarely eat sugar, so that hurts, but it's a one-time thing! Most of my sugar is from fruits, which, for some reason, converts better than the processed stuff. 

Anyhow, the new wafers are made in Mexico, our neighbor to the south. Not many wafers seemed to have the NECCO logo on them, and some pieces were missing part of the circle - thinking that's a quality control issue. 

From the Spangler Candy website, a few facts: "From the time of their creation, Necco Wafers have been enjoyed all over the world, quite literally. They were carried by soldier during the Civil War. In 1913, explorer Donald MacMillan took Necco Wafers on his Arctic explorations, sharing them with Eskimo children.

Later in the 1930s, two and a half tons of Necco Wafers were taken on an expedition to the South Pole, which amounted to about a pound a week for each person during their two-year stay.
During World War II, the U.S. Government requisitioned a major portion of the production of Necco Wafers. The candy was perfect for shipping to troops overseas since it doesn’t melt and is very portable."

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...