Tuesday, June 16, 2020

HE'S NOT BLACK....

Many, many years ago, I accepted a summer job as a speech therapist. I was a speech and communications major at the time, the place couldn't find someone truly qualified, so with my background, I guess I came close enough.

I found a couple of texts on speech therapy, read up on some basics, and did what I could. 

Part of the process was to interview the kids, just chat, and identify any speech issues I could. 

I have never forgotten one interview with one three- or-four-old year-old kid. During the course of our chatting, he revealed he loved dinosaurs! 

I asked if he'd like to have one. 

He replied, "Yes!"

"Where would you keep it? Is there room in your bedroom at home?" 

"No... I'd keep it in the back yard."

"Is that big enough?"

He nodded his head.

"And what would you feed him?"

"Black people." 

Fortunately, I kept my composure. His best friend, by the way, happened to be black.

"Wait. You would feed Nathan to him?"

"Oh, no. Nathan's not black - he's my friend."

It starts young.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...