Thursday, March 12, 2020

A JOB THAT SUCKS!

     During my teaching years, I would always spend time trying to convince my junior and senior students to complete a Career Project, and that there was a world of possibilities beyond the local area. The project included interviewing people in the field they were considering, and, if possible, some minor interning to see and experience what went on behind the scenes. That sometimes resulted in students getting an in (sometimes, it's who you know).

     After the demise of the Plymouth Fair, the Plymouth Lions Club sponsored a smaller fair in the field below the armory (now a college parking area). At the end of the day, a septic pumper truck would pull in to clean out the lineup of blue (and/or green) portable toilets.

     When the truck backed up to the first one of many, a young man jumped from the cab; he had on long, presumably rubber gloves. I watched as he connected hose sections to the truck, went into the toilet, and did whatever it was that he did. He worked his way down the row.

     When I described the scene to my classes, I asked if that was a desirable job. Most students agreed it was not. And then I asked if it was an important job. After a moment of thought, the consensus was yes. I then asked the same about a dishwasher at a restaurant with the same results.

     My hope was to teach the students that not only is every job important but also to do the best they could. They are representatives of the company they work for, and their job, no matter how small or undesirable, is important for the success of the bigger picture. 

     I hope some learned what they should have,

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...