Friday, March 13, 2020

TMI

     Full disclosure - I have to level with you - I suffer from a condition called witzelsucht, but I have managed it pretty well. Witzelsucht is a tendency to make puns or tell inappropriate jokes in improper situations. Combined with another condition called hypersexuality, if there is the remotest double entendre or innuendo (what's the Italian word for enema? Innuendo [there - that is a real-life example]), I'm right on it .

     When I was teaching, it took all I had to suppress such comments that popped into my mind. The last thing a teacher wants is a phone call from a parent/guardian or a request to appear in the principal's office, so that motivated me to bite my tongue.

     Students, on the other hand, often felt free to make such comments, and the problem was trying not to laugh as many were actually clever and appreciated, but I couldn't let on - it would just encourage them. If we were reading a story aloud, and the line: "She put the pot on the stove" appeared, some student (or many) would chime in with: "Heeyyy, pot, man!" (Of course, I have a voice I use to say it after the student(s) did. Seeing it in print here doesn't do it justice.) 

     Usually, there is a trigger word that brings a joke to the surface - that part of my processor still works. If someone asked me to tell a joke, I am not sure I'd readily have one, but when I hear any one of hundreds of words, the joke is right there; it pops out, and I have to tell it. Unfortunately, the Ever-lovely Miss Kim will hear the same word, and she knows what's coming. When I hear it, I look at her, and she rolls her eyes and prepares to hear the same joke for the umteenth time. I think the Ever-effervescent Miss Jessica is finding herself in the same boat.

     Anyhow, I mean no harm and am presenting this as an educational tool. If such a thing happens in your company, just do what my wife does - smile and nod. 

     Thanks for understanding.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...