Saturday, November 14, 2009

Here's Looking at You, Kid...


It started last night. We had just left a play from my old high school, and I started to notice arcs of dark light in the corner of my vision when I shifted my eyes from side to side. Then this morning, I saw a couple of dark "floaters." They looked like small spiders hovering before me. I called my ophthalmologist's office to see if he has hours and if I should be looked at. He wasn't in, but he was set up for a few hours at the area Senior Center. I found him, he took a look, and told me to meet him at his office. He didn't have hours today, but I guess it was that important. He numbed my eye and took a look around inside. Turns out I am undergoing what's called a vitreous detachment, common for my age. He said by age 80, 80 percent of the population would have experienced such a detachment. He added that there was a 90 percent chance of no serious issues with me, but if he saw any tears in the back, it was laser surgery right then! Bottom line, while there was a little capillary bleeding, overall I was okay. He will check me regularly over the next several weeks to make sure things remain routine. No exercise or heavy lifting for me (as if I would) - I also shouldn't read the paper because of the rapid back and forth motion of my eyes. I can use the computer and read books, but I have to do so slowly. Ah, the joys of growing older.

1 comment:

ERiN Noir said...

yuck! I'm holding off on glasses as long as i can migraines or not! I'm glad you caught it is so quick

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...