Saturday, November 8, 2008

Two Outta Three Ain't Bad!

Winston Churchill once said, "Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." I am feeling pretty darn successful these days.

First, as some of you know, I just found out that a position I was hoping for didn't come through; someone else was hired. The offering closed on August 29th. It was today, November 8th, that I was notified. The job was for a writer/editor. I thought it and I were a great match, but it really doesn't matter what I think; if it were up to me, I would have been hired, but it wasn't, so I wasn't. I am slightly disappointed, but I am not crushed. If it was meant to be, it would have been.

(Maybe I should have applied to help with Human Resources. I mean, 72 days to make a decision and get back to someone? I betcha I could interview people and decide on a candidate in a fraction of that time. The letter did encourage me to apply for other positions that I am qualified for. Let's see, the way I figure it, I could apply for five jobs, and a potentially productive year would be gone.... I don't think so. Thanks, but no thanks).

Combining that latest rejection with my recent loss in the political arena, that's two in a row, but that's okay. There are plenty of jobs out there... aren't there? I mean, aren't we riding the crest of prosperity? I mean, based on Congressional accounting rules, at the end of his presidency Clinton reported a surplus of $559 billion. The past eight years and the Republicans' penchant for fiscal conservatism and smaller government must have kept the surplus and added to it, so I am looking at the world through Rose-Garden-colored glasses. Something will come along... soon, I am sure. I will keep you posted.

So, those are my two out of three! What's number three? I don't know yet, but I will let you know when it happens; I feel good about it, whatever it will be.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...