Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To add to my life experiences, I have just been appointed as a Bail Commissioner for my district, which encompasses some thirteen towns around me. That means I can be called to any of those police stations and, as a neutral third party, set bail for people who have been arrested and charged with a crime. There appears to be a bit of a learning curve, but it really doesn't look too difficult. I expect like most other things that once I have done a couple, it will become relatively routine.

Following an almost-two-hour instructional introduction, I was able to observe an actual occurrence of what I will be doing. A young man
charged with two felony drug crimes had been brought into the courthouse , and my trainer did the bail-setting process. It was helpful to first learn about the procedure and then actually see it happen.

The only down side I see to being a Bail Commissioner is that calls will come in after normal business hours, but it comes with the territory; during regular hours, people are taken right to the courthouse. There are some twelve other bail commissioners in the district, and I was told that if I couldn't make it in, I couldn't make it in; someone else would be called. My guess is that officials work down the list calling those first who are closest.

Half-kiddingly, I told my trainer that being a Bail Commissioner is a good way to keep track of my former students... said half-kiddingly.

Anyhow, that's what's new. I will keep you posted if any interesting cases come along.

Later.

UPDATE (11/21): I had my first two calls today. I was out for the first, but I made it to the second. We were just finishing dinner with another couple when the police dispatch called with someone who needed to be bailed. It was a young man who was charged with possession of and transporting some marijuana. I left the house at 7:45 pm and was back in an hour. I am now a veteran Bail Commissioner!

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...