Friday, August 22, 2008

A Racist by Any Other Name...

We are very soon to hear who Barack Obama has picked as his running mate. As I am currently not at all impressed with mainstream politics-as-usual, the only hope I see is his selecting Bill Richardson; then I might take a closer look at Obama.

Otherwise, I will probably head back to supporting the Libertarian party as that's where my heart and mind reside; if I vote for what I believe in, I do not feel I am wasting my vote in that case.

Anyhow, to the purpose of this entry: I have no shortage of emails arriving from some hard-core Republican acquaintances out there eagerly forwarding anything that is anti-Obama, whether it makes sense or not. One person went so far as to send along a couple of "jokes" that loudly answered the question I had about whether he is anti-Obama because he's a Democrat or because Obama's black. In this person's case, it's the latter. The "joke" went beyond even my threshold for humor! I am no prude when it comes to jokes - I will tell (to a select group) jokes about almost anything if they are funny and obviously a joke. There is no dark agenda when I tell a joke even though to some people the joke may reinforce a "truth" or stereotype in their minds; in fact, those people will never hear my jokes.

After 31 years in the classroom, my sense of humor was driven deep underground. People with no sense of humor were in charge and made it clear to watch where we tread. Probably twice a year, I'd make a comment in class before I thought about what I was saying and while still smiling think to myself, "OMG, I'm going to get a phone call or be called into the principal's office. I'm doomed!" But it virtually never happened (except three times, which isn't bad for 31 years). The second time, it was recommended that I attend a course in sensitivity training, which, if you really know me at all, is like saying the same thing about Mother Teresa. A lot of people came to my defense, and for reasons only known to the Almighty, the whole thing just suddenly disappeared (as did the third time, which shouldn't have happened at all).

Anyhow, if you don't like the politics of Obama or McCain, fine; that's what it's all about. If you have another agenda, sometimes, it's easy to spot (see the picture, which I used without permission as I didn't know who to ask). In that case, your opinion isn't valid in my book. Sorry.
__________________________

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." M. L. King, Jr.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...