Monday, April 21, 2008

Easy Rider



Today was the day!
With Miss Kim's help, we moved some stuff in the barn and cleared a path for me to get the bike out for the first ride of the season. I was worried as I hadn't taken the battery out or stabilized the gas, but everything went flawlessly. The bike started right up, and I hopped right on. This was one of the three or four days a year when I didn't wear a helmet, which I usually do (I know, all it takes is one time for tragedy to happen, but...). I only went a few miles each way to experience the ride and put in some fresh gas. With prices where they are (and appear to be going), I may be riding the bike a lot this summer. Temps finally reached into the 70s and it was beautifully clear today ("What a day for a daydream!") It was both exhilarating and a bit terrifying to travel at about 60 mph with nothing but the bike between me and the rushing pavement (at least it seemed the pavement was rushing [it was really me]), but it was wonderful! When I get back to work (I'm on my well-deserved vay-k this week), I'd love to ride the bike in, but the mornings have been in the 20s and 30s before warming to a bearable temperature for the ride home.

Anyhow, don't let the grass in the background of the picture fool you - it's a picture from last year (or the year before). We're just now starting to see signs of green (it was a long and deep winter this year); Miss Kim pointed out our one daffodil, but that should soon change. It has been said that New Hampshire has three seasons: winter, mud, and August. This year, there's actually a spring.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...