Sunday, January 24, 2021

SIXTEEN CANDLES

I am sitting at my desk working on a piece of writing for a friend. Usually, the TV is just on without my really watching - background noise with an occasional glance on my part. This time, however, to avoid visual distraction, I have a music channel on featuring Solid Gold Oldies.

A song came on that like a tidal wave swept me back to another time and place. Sixteen Candles was the most danceable slow song! In those days, we craved slow songs because that meant dancing and holding our partners close - three minutes of heaven on earth. We often asked the DJ to play a 'Slow Ladies Choice,' which allowed girls to ask the guys to dance. Sometimes someone would even ask me to dance. When that actually happened, I usually asked my friend to hold her cane and dog while we danced.

Once I found someone that would dance with me, we'd walk slowly to the dance floor, my hand in the small of her back gently guiding her (or clutching her blouse making sure she didn't bolt).

She'd turn and face me. My right hand and arm went around her waist; my left (and her right) arm stuck out to the left looking like we were ready to gently arm wrestle. And then, feeling the music (And other things), we'd begin to move and sway and glide over the floor. (In more advanced cases, I was able to put both arms around her and hold her close. 

At those moments, nothing else existed - true heaven on earth. Any reverie, though, was often cut short be the abrasion of her hair on my cheek and/or chin. Usually so much hair spray was used, her hair could deflect bullets. The most prevalent was called the beehive. Ouch!


I miss those days.

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9krCCh7DY&ab_channel=OldHitsLyrics

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...