Friday, May 29, 2020

I DREAM OF JEANS

I don't know if it ended that way or not, but  pop artist Andy Warhol said, "I want to die with my blue jeans on."

I am thinking the same thing. I did some rough calculations and learned that if I am up and about and dressed during the day I am in jeans approximately 94.246575342466% of the time, so the odds are pretty good.

I love jeans. They are casual, comfortable, take a beating, and are relatively timeless (although through the years, there have been numerous variations on the theme [bell bottoms relaxed, classic, tight, stretch, pre-shrunk, ripped, distressed, shotgun blasted, and, sometimes, even ridiculously  expensive]). If you were wondering how expensive, Secret Circus Jeans Company (an under-the-radar company, which may or may not still exist) offered jeans, which actually come in a number of patterns and prices. In short, certain pairs of these jeans have patterns sewn onto their back pockets, which are formed using numerous diamonds of high quality. Something that explains much about their price tag of $1.3 million. Careful where and how you sit. (I consider anything over $25 expensive!) 

Anyhow, over the past several years, I have stayed with Wrangler, which offers basic jeans at under $20. I like the fit of Levi's better, but they run $40 - $50. I have rarely been into brand names as a deciding factor, but there have been a few things along the way. I am thinking that if someone doesn't like me, it won't be because of the brand I wear.

A bit of education: the blue jeans we know today were patented in 1873 by Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis. They are named after Genoa, Italy, where cotton corduroy, called either 'jean' or 'jeane,' was manufactured. There's lots more history, so if you are interested, you can look it up.

A few facts of interest (I have not fact checked these): (1) Blue jeans are illegal in North Korea, (2) One pair of Levi's 501's requires 37 separate sewing operations, (3) Japan sells jeans through vending machines, (4) In the 50's, jeans were not allowed in schools and other places because they were a symbol of rebellion, (6) One bale of cotton yields around 325 pairs of jeans, and (7) women's jeans used to have zippers on the side instead of in the front.

"Confidence is what makes that simple white tee and jeans look good." Ciara.

p.s. I had to look up who Ciara is. She's an American singer.

p.p.s She's probably wondering who Mr. B is 

p.p.p.s No, she's not.


No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...