Monday, May 11, 2020

A COUPLE OF SNAPSHOTS

Probably 47 years ago, I was teaching in a small private school class when a student strode up to me. He said, "Mr. Berman, is ten thousand a large number?" 

Because I have trouble with simple unqualified answers, I responded, "It depends on the context. If you're talking money to a poor person, it's a small fortune. If you're asking a millionaire, it's not much at all. If you are talking stars, it's a tiny drop in the bucket. What are you asking exactly?"

This student was already one of the entitled class, well on his way to removing himself from 'the little people' as soon as he could. His reply to my question was, "Well, my father works for IBM and he has 10,000 people under him."

Okay. 

That got me thinking. Why did he want me to know that? What was he trying to say? Was it to boost his self esteem? Was it to let me know my station in life? 

I have no idea where he is today, but I tried to use Google to see if I could see what he's up to. I was not successful, but I am sure he is. 

(By the way, is 145,923 a large number?)

I like pretty much everyone until they give me a reason not to. There was another student who lied as easily as I breathe. I learned very quickly not to believe anything he told me. (If I previously shared this next part, forgive me.) He told me he had returned from a stint in the military. I asked him what his MOS was (Military Occupational Specialty). He didn't know what I was talking about; that didn't take long. Although I was in the National Guard when it was, in fact, the National Guard and never federally activated (twice by the state), I was an 11B10 (Light Weapons Infantryman). That's something one does not forget even after 48 years.

Again, why did he have to lie about everything? I have my thoughts, but there is no need to share them here.

Stand on your own. Be the best you can be. Don't lie.



Final thought here: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain.

So, if I tell you I ate Chinese food with Led Zeppelin, believe me. 

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...