Sunday, December 13, 2009

More on Christmas!


Last night I went to my first-ever gospel concert. The featured main act was The Praise Brothers (http://www.americangospel.com/praisebrothers/index.asp). Opening the evening for them and joining in along the way was Brother Rick Clogston (http://www.blogger.com/profile/11221078603492597383).

The evening for me and the small group that attended was enchanting and truly delightful! I left impressed with the commitment and belief these musicians share as well as the basic message. As there was little for me to do but listen and enjoy the music, I did have lots of time to think and reflect on the words, something that is missing in too many people these days. In my last blog entry, I mused on the meaning of the Christmas season. After last night's concert, I'd like to go further.

The concert was presented by the Plymouth (NH) Lions Club and served a two-fold purpose. First was purely an evening of truly inspirational entertainment. Also, we wanted to introduce who the Lions are and what we do. We have been called "New Hampshire's best-kept secret. We quietly help others and don't toot our own horns, which is why not everyone has even heard of the Lions.

(Sudden switch of topic) When today's paper arrived, it was chock full of ads for Christmas gifts - one ad was kind enough to list the "must-have gifts" while most of the others touted the newest, hottest items - at least that's what the ads say, and people must feel better than others when they get the newest latests (I mean, isn't that why people will fight over items?). You often guess at something someone wants, and maybe they do. If not, you have at least fulfilled the gift-giving obligation, which is what the Christmas season is all about, right?

WRONG! Without wanting to insult anyone, there really are a lot of stupid toys and waste-of-money gifts, yet year after year people keep repeating the same behaviors. I would like to propose something new: how would you like to give someone the gift of sight? If you are reading this, you take your sight for granted. A gift to the Lions Club will buy someone an eye examination and a pair of glasses or help with the purchase of a hearing aid. Unlike most other charities, with the Lions, a full 100 percent of money raised from the public goes back to the public.

Give a gift this year that really matters and makes a difference. Consider supporting your local Lions Club or sending along a gift in someone's name to The Plymouth Lions Club, PO Box 1821, Plymouth NH 03264. Whatever you send is not something that will be used for a few minutes and then tossed aside. It will change someone's life.

Remember the true message of the season.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...