Sunday, May 17, 2009

One Typical Day

You should have been there! I was out today riding around the yard on the riding mower doing just fine, thank you. With each pass I got closer and closer to a blue basketball-sized toy the dog plays with (it has a handle, so he can't dribble it). It's supposed to be filled with air (which, of course it is either way - you'll see what I mean in a moment); it's a sealed unit, so it's supposed to not give; it is supposed to keep its shape. Anyhow, apparently the dog had punctured it somewhere along the way (it was still filled with air, but it also had "give" as the air rushed out when it is squeezed - an important fact with what's coming).

So, as I was getting really close to the ball, I did what I always did before - I nudged it with the front wheel to push it out of the way so there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, with the aforementioned hole in it, it "gave." It didn't bounce to the side but went under the machine, was immediately caught up in the blade, and caused a problem. The engine suddenly came as close to screaming as any inanimate object can and white smoke started pouring out from underneath the mower. There were no shredded pieces that were spit out, so I knew I had a problem. The smell in the air was getting quite unpleasant (an understatement), so thinking quickly, I turned the engine off and sat watching the smoke continue to billow from beneath.

I couldn't lift the behemoth, so I went to the car and got the jack (a story in itself but for another time). I finally figured out how to make it lift the mower and did... it took about three seconds after it had reached its apogee for it to fall. I was on grass, and I thought it might, so I kept my distance. Thinking desperately, I had an idea - I lifted the plastic discharge chute, and there, wedged in the opening was the blue toy! With deft adroitness, I worked it out, put it on a plastic lawn chair, and said a small prayer of thanks and hope. When I tried to restart the engine, it actually worked, and I finished the job.

Not a big story but typical in my ongoing struggle with machines.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...