Tuesday, October 13, 2020

THE WAY IT WAS! (1975)

A friend just posted some pages from the 1975 Plymouth AREA High School yearbook. Besides my being quite the fashion plate (picture below if I can figure out how to import it [try not to swoon]), the book brought back some memories, which probably wouldn't fly today.

First was the annual Miss Halloween contest. If I remember correctly, there were three competitive categories in the contest: swimsuit, evening gown, and talent. The one twist is all the contestants were guys including football players, etc. 

The other annual event was a class fundraiser - the Senior Slave Auction. Students would "buy" a senior for the day to do things like carry their books to class, clean their lockers, get and serve their lunch, etc. An all-school assembly would convene and the highest bidder(s) would get the services of their senior for the day (but sadly not everyone played along). 

Sadly, many (most) did. While it may not have been the event that ended the continuation, I do remember one year the students who bought their senior had him push a peanut up the ramps between floors... with his nose. The good sport did so. When he was discovered, his nose was raw and his face bloodied.

When given freedom, many (most) people won't 'play the game' and do the right thing.

Sounds like today.



No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...