Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Mr. B's Class - Day Six

I have had many pets through the years. Probably the worst part of pet ownership is saying 'Goodbye.' Through it all, I had managed to never be in the room during euthanization... until now. There was always someone else, or a couple of times, I just passed the pet off; I couldn't go into the room, for which I now beat myself up.

When my wife's email came while I was at work, it basically said we need "a plan" for our Domino. I looked at it, and a literal jolt shot through my being - I knew what it meant. Domi was a large 29-year-old  horse whose leg wasn't getting better; I will spare you the details. The short of it was in our heads, euthanization was definitely the right decision - no question there, but in our hearts....

I made the arrangements; we picked a day and time. I have a friend who dug a large hole and had a vet come to the house. Leading up to the moment, I prayed for strength because
I knew I had to be there for my wife and for Domi.

I didn't see my first dead human body until I was in my 40s. It was everything I thought it would be (good and bad), but I had never been present at the time of passing. This time would change that.

It was the right thing and time. I stayed for the whole thing and, in a way, am proud of myself. Again, it was everything I thought it would be (good and bad).

Treasure what time you have. We are all heading down different roads to the same destination.

RIP, Domi. Run free.


Reuben Bright

Because he was a butcher and thereby 
Did earn an honest living (and did right), 
I would not have you think that Reuben Bright 
Was any more a brute than you or I; 
For when they told him that his wife must die, 
He stared at them, and shook with grief and fright, 
And cried like a great baby half that night, 
And made the women cry to see him cry. 

And after she was dead, and he had paid 
The singers and the sexton and the rest, 
He packed a lot of things that she had made 
Most mournfully away in an old chest 
Of hers, and put some chopped-up cedar boughs 
In with them, and tore down the slaughter-house. 

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...