Thursday, May 13, 2010

Two Wrongs...

"The relationship between President Obama and Afghan President Karzai has had its difficulties -- most recently exacerbated by Karzai saying continued pressure from the west to reform might lead him to join the Taliban. As evidenced by the red-carpet roll-out to Karzai this week, administration officials have clearly decided to change their attitude towards Karzai and are focusing more on carrot than stick." (ABC News 5/13/10) In other words, kiss his what?

You know what? Let him join the Taliban - every nation has the government it deserves (even the US. We elect those we do so the rich can keep getting richer and the rest of us be damned - do you think it matters one iota who gets in?). Let us pull out, return our troops to where they belong (here), and get on with things. We are dealing with civilizations that were around long before democracy (and will be around long after, the way we are going), and never the twain shall meet. If and when they are ready to change, let it come from them - we can't occupy and expect positive change.

We are again supporting a government rife with corruption (birds of a feather?). I am reaching the point where I may do something I have never done - not vote! I am sick and tired of feeling I have to pick the "better" of two lessers. In the last couple of elections, I found myself voting against someone rather than for someone. Maybe it's the nature of the beast, but as we keep electing "politicians," we are getting worse and worse off. Remember the old saying, "What if they gave a war and nobody came?" Maybe by not voting someone may sit up and take notice - but not if I am the only one. What would happen if people stayed away from the polls en masse? Remember the other saying, "If you don't vote, don't complain." Well, maybe that's been wrong all along! It seems to me that no matter who is elected, those who are owed (by those they own?) will get their due (many [most?] corporations donate to both candidates to hedge their bets). The rest of us? "So on we worked and waited for the light, And went without the meat and cursed the bread...."

Feh!

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...