Thursday, October 16, 2008

An Incomplete Victory

To the right is a photo of "Winged Victory of Samothrace." The sculpture is 11 feet tall and, coincidentally, was found on the island of Samothrace; sculpted around 190 BC, it was discovered in 1863. It is currently on display in the Louvre in Paris and represents the Greek goddess Nike, but I suspect the real goddess had a head and arms.
Anyhow, perhaps the sculpture is a good symbol for my senatorial campaign. While the election is still a few weeks off, I already feel a small but incomplete sense of victory. At a local diner and at the local supermarket, someone has stopped me and said, "I hear you're running for office." That suggests to me that some word of my candidacy has gotten out.
I doubt any papers have run the press releases I sent out; why should they? Think about it - The System has given us two opposing mainstream candidates who represent, well, The System. They have raised and will spend millions of dollars for a job that pays $169,300! I, meanwhile, am spending nothing but some time. Just suppose for a moment that the papers did run my press releases, and suppose the papers' reporters and radio and TV personalities picked up on them and called me and asked questions that I answered "right" enough. And suppose as a Washington outsider and independent thinker I appealed to enough people who ended up electing me, and I, as one of the ordinary people, ended up making a real difference. As a person who owes nothing to anyone, I can do that; real "politicians" can't.
As we get closer to the election, I will send out another press release or two; I am doing my part. If I can just get the papers to do theirs....

p.s. To see my press releases and some positions, go to www.bermansbits.com and click on Politics.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...