Sunday, July 13, 2008

No Matter How You Slice It...

(Photo from www.everytattoo.com)

I thought that today was the day - that I had finally gotten through! It's not like I am asking for anything big or complicated, but, alas, it again wasn't to be. I have gotten into the Dunkin' Donuts (DD) routine whenever I take my daughter for a riding lesson or whenever I am heading out on an adventure. Anyhow, today was an adventure - my wife and I were meeting three other Lions to cater a horse show as a fund-raiser (dogs, burgers, chips, and soda or water). I was the cook. I smell like a hamburger, but that's another story.

Anyhow, before our trek north to the show grounds this morning, we stopped at DD's. I ordered my usual - a poppy bagel and coffee; Miss Kim got coffee and doughnuts (unusual). Our bill came to $7.15; I paid with a ten. The new kid in training behind the counter took my ten and handed me back $7.15. I kept my hand out and said, "I think you made a mistake." He looked puzzled. He said that I had given him a ten. I said he had given me too much, handed it back, and told him to give me back $2. 85. He was incredulous! He said, "You could've gotten away with it!" Yes, I could have, but I am an honest person - apparently a rarity in today's youthful world. (I would not want to be the one looking at today's balance sheet, but that wasn't the issue.)

When I order the bagel, every time I say, "Toasted, with plain cream cheese, spread on it, and would you cut it in half, please." Trouble is they can't. Almost no employee there understands what it means to "cut it in half." I don't think it's really that hard a concept to understand. My daughter thinks it's funny. Back in the car, she delights in opening the bag, finding my bagel, and, rolling her eyes, announcing that it's not cut. One day, when I walked over to the person preparing my bagel, I caught his eye and made slicing motions with my hand as he bagged it (whole). He thought I wanted to shake his hand.

Today, I explained to the order-taker that I wanted it sliced in half - I even pantomimed the motion. He understood; he really did! But somehow, the message never got from him to the preparer. Back in the car, it was my wife who discovered the bagel sliced horizontally (technically, it was in half but not vertically). I think that the problem is the person taking the order is not the person fulfilling the order, and something gets lost in the few feet they're apart.

I know I can make this happen regularly; I just don't know how yet. Sigh.

Later.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...