Monday, April 5, 2010

A New Appreciation

Last night, for the first time, I watched "Undercover Boss," a show in which a company's big boss goes undercover to work in the trenches and learn what life is like at the bottom (figure of speech especially considering the episode featured the Chief Operating Officer of Roto-Rooter).

As the show unfolded, Rick (posing as Hank) did various jobs and got to know some of the front-line workers. At the end, he called the workers in, introduced himself, thanked them, and helped them with personal things he learned about that were happening (someone with medical issues; someone else behind on her mortgage; etc.). It's one of those feel-good, get all misty at the end shows. Even Rick lost if a few times.

Today I happened to stop by a fast-food store, and I looked at the employees in a new light. They may not realize it, but they are on the front line and fully represent that company to the public. If the company hires some SFB (don't ask if you don't know), one bad experience may set the customer against that company for life. I don't know how someone found out, but it has been said that if you like or love a company, you will tell six people. If you hate it or have a bad experience, you tell 75.

Anyhow, to the workers, keep your heads up and be proud of what you do. You are far more important than you know. Be the best (whatever) you can.

To the customers, respect these folks putting in all that time to sometimes just get by (and today, sometimes not even that). We all have bad days, but sometimes we have to pretend not.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...