Thursday, December 10, 2009

Merry Christmas to All!

It's almost that time again - the time to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Actually, maybe I should say, Merry Christmahanukwanzaakah" so I cover most bases and no one feels left out.

Regardless, I got thinking (as many others have) about what Christmas really means (or should mean). When I hear stories of people camping out all night in all kinds of weather to be among the first to get into a store to buy the newest, latest, hottest gifts, and people getting trampled and injured in the rush ("I want mine!"), it's a wonder so few see and understand what's really happening. So few people step back and ask what's really going on. As Trung Bui wrote online: "It's that time of year again. When the shopkeepers groan, the mom and dads moan, and the kids scream their little lungs out for you to comply with their demands. It's Christmas. The time of the year that has ranged in so many meanings that it seems like people just make their own stuff up as they go. Over the years, traditions included crying, yelling, apologizing, and probably falling over dead drunk after making a regrettable mistake with your friend's girlfriend." Woo-hoo!

Christmas is supposed to celebrate the birth of Christ. Trung Bui goes on to add: "For a holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus, people sure do show it in a rather strange way, what with the sales, the constant red and green shoved into my retinas, and about ten thousand shows dedicated to the events leading up to that single day that a baby who was the son of God was immaculately conceived by a lowly girl named Mary. OK...I guess I can get behind that, but what's the deal with the fat guy in the red suit with this list of EVERY single kid in the world? Also, can someone please explain to me why there's a rabbit hiding painted eggs when Jesus is resurrected?"

I used to feel a deep sense of inner peace as people walked around smiling, thoughtfully shopping, and saying a sincere hello to each other and quietly and sincerely wishing all they met a Merry Christmas. The buzz words used to be "Peace on Earth" and" Goodwill to Men" (meaning not just men but all people, of course). Now, everything's changed and I miss those old feelings about the way it was. People are stressed today and hurrying everywhere. Others have said it, and I say it here: Let's get back to understanding and acting appropriately about the real meaning of Christmas. If I can understand that, you should be able to as well.

And I'm not even a Christian.

No comments:

BACK IN THE DAY....

I remember when I was growing up (as much as I did), there were a few career choices that I considered. The bottom line is that I was never ...